For those of you who have watched any of the NCAA games this year you have notice The Black Keys song “Gold on the Ceiling”. You have probably thought that the song was good. Because it is. They make a lot of catchy rock music. However, something always bothers me about them. They have sold out. I often struggle with my stances on selling out. I sort of hate it. But, I also sort of understand. Bands need to make money to make music. Money helps you get popular. Money is needed. Money is good. The Black Keys have done this. Really well. Almost too well. Here is a video of them explaining their reasoning for all of you who are extremely pissed off by this. Don’t judge them too harshly. I understand why they allow everything and everyone to use their music, I suppose I just am now finding it very annoying. Enjoy.
Here is a list of their deals. Some are really funny.
- When the Lights Go Out” — In film Black Snake Moan, and also on the soundtrack for that movie.
- “Set You Free” — In film School of Rock, and also on the soundtrack for that movie.
- “Lies” — Featured in the conclusion of the February 4, 2009 episode of Lie to Me.
- “Girl Is on My Mind” — Was used in a 2006 Sony Ericsson advertisement, starring the tennis players Ana Ivanović and Daniela Hantuchová.
- “Girl Is on My Mind” — Used in a 2006 Victoria’s Secret commercial featuring Heidi Klum.
- “Girl Is on My Mind” — film Rest Stop and Cashback.
- “10 am Automatic” — Used in the video game MLB ’06: The Show, The O.C., The Go-Getter, and was also used in a 2007 American Express commercial starring Shaun White.
- “Your Touch” — Featured in a 2007 Lee’s jeans commercial, and can be heard both in an episode of NBC’s Friday Night Lights and in an episode of “Eastbound and Down”.
- “Your Touch” can also be heard in the HBO series “Entourage” in the episode ‘Manic Monday’, during the opening scenes.
- “Your Touch” — In film Zombieland.
- “Your Touch” — In an episode of “Eastbound and Down” on HBO.
- “Grown So Ugly” — Heard in the background of the going away party in the 2007 film Cloverfield.
- “Strange Times” — Used in Grand Theft Auto IV on the in-game radio station Radio Broker.
- “Strange Times” — Heard during a preview for ABC’s The Mole, and the trailer for season three of the Showtime series Dexter, as well as a promo for Gossip Girl.
- “Just Got To Be” — Used on the soundtrack for the video game NHL 08.
- “Hard Row” — Featured in the premiere episode of the FoX show Sons of Anarchy.
- “Keep Me” — In both Episodes 6 and 7 of the Fox show Sons of Anarchy.
- “Busted” _ In episode 7 of the first season.
- “Lies” — Featured in the advertising campaign for the third season of HBO’s Big Love.
- “The Breaks” — In film RocknRolla.
- “Psychotic Girl” — Featured the episode “Messin’ with the Kid” in season 6 of One Tree Hill.
- “I’ll Be Your Man” — Theme song for the HBO show Hungand was also featured in an episode of the Fox Network show Rescue Me.
- “The Wicked Messenger” — In film “I’m Not Here”, a Bob Dylan bio-pic
Here is their best song/video they have: “Tighten Up”